The villages of Trevena and Bossiney were until the early 20th century separated by fields along Bossiney Road.The Tithe Commissioners' survey was carried out in 1840–41 and recorded the area of the parish as 4,280 acres (17.3 km The unusual incident caused significant damage and consternation, but no deaths.The name first occurs in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae (c.
Stone crosses, of which there are two, have both been moved from their original positions: the plainer of the two is Hendra cross (described under Bossiney).Aelnat's cross which was found at Trevillet and then moved to the Wharncliffe Arms Hotel at Trevena, is finely carved.meaning village on a mountain) is a civil parish and village situated on the Atlantic coast of Cornwall, England, United Kingdom.The population of the parish was 1,820 people (2001 census), and the area of the parish is 4,281 acres (17.32 km The village and nearby Tintagel Castle are associated with the legends surrounding King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table.The inscription can be read as '[I]mp C G Val Lic Licin' which would refer to the Emperor Licinius (d. There are many other relics of antiquity to be found here such as the so-called King Arthur's Footprint on the Island and a carved rock from Starapark which has been placed outside the Sir James Smith's School at Dark Lane, Camelford.
Rodney Castleden has written about these as Bronze Age ritual objects.
The inscription can be read as 'Aelnat fecit hanc crucem pro anima sua' (Ælnat made this cross for [the good of] his soul) (the back of the stone has the names of the four evangelists): the name of this man is Saxon (together with Alfwy mentioned in 1086 he is the only Anglo-Saxon recorded in connection with the area).
Tintagel Primary School was built at Treven in 1914 to replace the old church school (founded 1874) and has been extended since.
In the Iron Age there were probably fortifications at Willapark and Barras Head, and inland at Trenale Bury.
Two of the Roman milestones found in Cornwall are at Tintagel (the earlier of the two is described under Trethevy): the later one was found in the walls of the churchyard in 1889 and is preserved in the church.
The borough of Bossiney was given the right to send two MPs to Parliament c.